- WKN: 663200
- ISIN: DE0006632003
- Land: Deutschland
Nachricht vom 02.06.2021 | 13:24
MorphoSys to Acquire Constellation Pharmaceuticals
DGAP-News: MorphoSys AG
/ Key word(s): Mergers & Acquisitions
MorphoSys to Acquire Constellation Pharmaceuticals
Accelerates Growth Strategy by Adding Two Mid- to Late-Stage Product Candidates:
Bolsters Position in Hematology-Oncology and Expands into Solid Tumors
Best-in-Class Combined Discovery and Development Capabilities Accelerates Ability to Provide New Cancer Treatments to Patients
MorphoSys Enters into Strategic Funding Partnership with Royalty Pharma
MorphoSys to Host Conference Call and Webcast at 2:00 PM CEST / 8:00 AM EDT Today
Planegg/Munich, Germany and Cambridge, Mass. - June 2, 2021 - MorphoSys AG (FSE: MOR; NASDAQ: MOR) ("MorphoSys"), and Constellation Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (NASDAQ: CNST) ("Constellation") today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement whereby MorphoSys will acquire Constellation for $34.00 per share in cash, which represents a total equity value of $1.7 billion. The transaction has been unanimously approved by the Management Board (Vorstand) and the Supervisory Board (Aufsichtsrat) of MorphoSys, as well as the Board of Directors of Constellation and is expected to close in the third quarter of 2021.
Constellation is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company using its expertise in epigenetics to discover and develop novel therapeutics that address serious unmet medical needs in patients with various forms of cancer. Constellation's two lead product candidates, pelabresib (CPI-0610), a BET inhibitor, and CPI-0209, a second-generation EZH2 inhibitor, are in mid- to late-stage clinical trials and have broad therapeutic potential to offer meaningful benefits to patients with various hematological and solid tumors. Pelabresib has the potential to be a first- and best-in-class BET inhibitor and is currently in a Phase 3 clinical trial for myelofibrosis, a bone marrow cancer that disrupts the body's normal production of blood cells. The EZH2 inhibitor CPI-0209 is currently in Phase 2 with best-in-class potential for treating hematological and solid tumors. Constellation's pipeline also includes numerous preclinical compounds.
"This transformational acquisition represents a major step forward for MorphoSys as we bolster our position in hematology-oncology," said Jean-Paul Kress, M.D., Chief Executive Officer of MorphoSys. "Both pelabresib and CPI-0209 have broad potential and we look forward to unlocking their full benefits for cancer patients. Our existing clinical and commercial expertise is ideally suited to accelerate Constellation's programs, enabling us to maximize Constellation's potential and bring these novel therapies to market. With Constellation's high-potential product candidates, complementary R&D capabilities, and outstanding team, we can further advance our mission in the fight against cancer."
"We are proud that MorphoSys has recognized the strength of our team, our expertise in epigenetics, and our high-potential oncology development pipeline and discovery programs," said Jigar Raythatha, President and Chief Executive Officer of Constellation. "Becoming part of MorphoSys creates an industry leader with commercial capabilities, a deep R&D pipeline and complementary small molecule and biologics discovery and translational capabilities, as well as the financial strength to compete to win. Our shareholders will receive attractive, immediate and certain cash value for their shares, the employees of the combined entity will have a broader platform and greater opportunities, and patients will potentially benefit from innovative new therapies that address serious unmet needs."
Strategic Funding Partnership with Royalty Pharma
MorphoSys also announced that it has entered into a long-term strategic funding partnership with Royalty Pharma plc (Nasdaq: RPRX) ("Royalty Pharma") (together with the Constellation transaction, the "Transactions"). The terms of the agreement between MorphoSys and Royalty Pharma provide for the following, under certain conditions and upon closing of the transaction with Constellation:
- $1.425 Billion Upfront Payment: Royalty Pharma will make a $1.425 billion upfront payment to MorphoSys, supporting its growth strategy. The proceeds will be used to support the financing of the Constellation transaction and development of the combined pipeline.
- $350 Million Development Funding Bonds: Royalty Pharma will provide MorphoSys with access to up to $350 million in Development Funding Bonds with the flexibility to draw over a one-year period.
- Milestone Payments: Royalty Pharma will make additional payments of up to $150 million to MorphoSys upon reaching clinical, regulatory and commercial milestones for otilimab, gantenerumab and pelabresib.
- Royalties: Royalty Pharma will have the rights to receive 100% of MorphoSys' royalties on net sales of Tremfya(R), 80% of future royalties and 100% of future milestone payments on otilimab, 60% of future royalties on gantenerumab, and 3% on future net sales of Constellation's clinical stage assets (pelabresib and CPI-0209).
- Equity Investment: After completion of the transaction and subject to the required approvals of the management board (Vorstand) and the supervisory board (Aufsichtsrat) of MorphoSys, Royalty Pharma is expected to invest $100 million in a cash capital increase of MorphoSys under an authorization to exclude subscription rights of existing shareholders. The new MorphoSys shares will be listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
Jean-Paul Kress continued, "We are thrilled to announce this partnership with Royalty Pharma, which is providing more than $2 billion to fuel our proprietary drug development and commercialization. We are confident they will be a strong financial partner for years to come, enabling us to fund our growth and - with the addition of Constellation's innovative pipeline - bring our attractive new candidates to patients."
"In acquiring Constellation, MorphoSys has a significant opportunity to drive clinical and commercial success," said Pablo Legorreta, Chief Executive Officer of Royalty Pharma. "We are excited to join forces to further advance the combined company's pipeline and positively impact patients."
- Accelerates Growth Strategy with Exciting Mid- to Late-Stage Product Candidates. The transaction accelerates MorphoSys' strategy to grow through proprietary drug development and commercialization. Constellation's lead product candidates, pelabresib and CPI-0209, have broad potential, with expected approvals across a range of oncology indications in the coming years. Constellation's lead compounds fit well with MorphoSys' proven clinical development, regulatory and commercial capabilities, and MorphoSys is well positioned to rapidly advance and unlock the potential of the Constellation portfolio.
- Bolsters Position in Hematology-Oncology and Expands into Solid Tumors. Constellation adds an attractive, complementary pipeline of highly innovative late- to early-stage cancer therapy candidates, augmenting MorphoSys' existing pipeline in hematologic malignances and expanding into potential therapies for solid tumors.
- Strengthens Cutting-Edge Research and Development Organization. The transaction leverages MorphoSys' expertise in biologics and Constellation's expertise in epigenetics and small molecule discovery platforms to develop a broad range of oncology therapies. Constellation adds exciting, pioneering science and attractive preclinical compounds targeting epigenetic regulators. Together, MorphoSys' and Constellation's highly talented research and development teams will strengthen earlier stage and emerging science to bring exciting new cancer therapies to patients.
- Anchored by Strategic Funding Partnership. Royalty Pharma's strategic funding partnership will fuel the expansion of the combined company's capabilities to help accelerate the development, approval and commercial reach of breakthrough cancer treatments. This long-term commitment will help deliver significant value to all stakeholders.
Under the terms of the merger agreement, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of MorphoSys will promptly commence a tender offer to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Constellation's common stock at a price of $34.00 per share in cash. Following successful completion of the tender offer, MorphoSys will acquire all remaining shares not tendered in the offer through a second step merger at the same price as in the tender offer.
MorphoSys plans to pay an all-cash consideration for the transaction. The tender offer is not subject to a financing condition.
The purchase price of $34.00 per share in cash represents a premium of approximately 70% to Constellation's volume-weighted average price for the last five trading days.
Consummation of the tender offer is subject to various conditions including a minimum tender of at least a majority of outstanding Constellation shares, the expiration or termination of the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act and the receipt of any approvals or clearances required to be obtained under the applicable antitrust laws, and other customary conditions. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 2021.
Following close, MorphoSys will remain headquartered in Munich, Germany, and will maintain a significant commercial and R&D presence in Boston, Massachusetts.
The live call is also available at:
Germany: +49 69 201 744 220
Participant PIN: 78217587#
Please dial in 10 minutes before the beginning of the conference.
Monjuvi(R) is a registered trademark of MorphoSys AG.
Tremfya(R) is a registered trademark of Janssen Biotech, Inc.
Constellation Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing novel therapeutics that selectively modulate gene expression to address serious unmet medical needs in patients with cancer. The Company has a deep understanding of how epigenetic and chromatin modifications in cancer cells and in the tumor and immune microenvironment play a fundamental role in driving disease progression and drug resistance. Constellation is driving development of the BET inhibitor pelabresib for the treatment of myelofibrosis as well as the EZH2 inhibitor CPI-0209 for the treatment of advanced malignancies. The Company is also applying its broad research and development capabilities to explore other novel targets that directly and indirectly impact gene expression to fuel a sustainable pipeline of innovative small-molecule product candidates.
Additional Information and Where to Find it
The tender offer described in this communication has not yet commenced. This communication is for informational purposes only and is neither an offer to purchase nor a solicitation of an offer to sell shares of Constellation Pharmaceuticals Inc. ("Constellation"), nor is it a substitute for any tender offer materials that MorphoSys AG ("MorphoSys"), or Constellation will file with the SEC. A solicitation and an offer to buy shares of Constellation will be made only pursuant to an offer to purchase and related materials that MorphoSys intends to file with the SEC. At the time the tender offer is commenced, MorphoSys will file a Tender Offer Statement on Schedule TO with the SEC, and Constellation will file a Solicitation/Recommendation Statement on Schedule 14D-9 with the SEC with respect to the tender offer. CONSTELLATION'S STOCKHOLDERS AND OTHER INVESTORS ARE URGED TO READ THE TENDER OFFER MATERIALS (INCLUDING AN OFFER TO PURCHASE, A RELATED LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL AND CERTAIN OTHER TENDER OFFER DOCUMENTS) AND THE SOLICITATION/RECOMMENDATION STATEMENT BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION WHICH SHOULD BE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ANY DECISION IS MADE WITH RESPECT TO THE TENDER OFFER. The Offer to Purchase, the related Letter of Transmittal and certain other tender offer documents, as well as the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement, will be sent to all stockholders of Constellation at no expense to them. The Tender Offer Statement and the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement will be made available for free at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. Additional copies may be obtained for free by contacting MorphoSys or Constellation. Free copies of these materials and certain other offering documents will be made available by MorphoSys by mail to MorphoSys AG., Semmelweisstrasse 7, 82152 Planegg, Germany, attention: Investor Relations, by phone at 49 (0)89 / 899 27 179, or by directing requests for such materials to the information agent for the offer, which will be named in the Tender Offer Statement. Copies of the documents filed with the SEC by Constellation will be available free of charge under the "Investors" section of Constellation's internet website at https://ir.constellationpharma.com/investor-relations.
In addition to the Offer to Purchase, the related Letter of Transmittal and certain other tender offer documents, as well as the Solicitation/Recommendation Statement, Constellation and MorphoSys file periodic reports and other information with the SEC. MorphoSys' and Constellation's filings with the SEC are also available for free to the public from commercial document-retrieval services and at the website maintained by the SEC at www.sec.gov.
Forward Looking Statements
Constellation Pharmaceuticals Contacts
Royalty Pharma Contacts
|Phone:||+49 (0)89 899 27-0|
|Fax:||+49 (0)89 899 27-222|
|Listed:||Regulated Market in Frankfurt (Prime Standard); Regulated Unofficial Market in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hanover, Munich, Stuttgart, Tradegate Exchange; Nasdaq|
|EQS News ID:||1203651|
|End of News||DGAP News Service|
Event im Fokus
10. Juni 2021:Fachkonferenz Immobilien
14./15. Juli 2021: Fachkonferenzen Beteiligungsgesellschaften & Consumer/Leisure
13./14. Oktober 2021: Fachkonferenzen Finanzdienstleistungen/Technologie
10./11. November 2021: Fachkonferenzen Software/IT & Branchenmix
„Je nach aktueller Covid-19 Situation und den bestehenden Vorschriften für Versammlungen entscheidet sich ca. 5 Wochen vor dem Termin, in welcher Form die Konferenzen stattfinden.“
Cryptology Asset Group PLC: 120 % Kurspotenzial
GBC Research hat mit der Coverage der Cryptology Asset Group PLC (ISIN: MT0001770107) begonnen. Die Bewertung der führenden europäischen Investmentgesellschaft für Krypto-Assets und Blockchain-Unternehmen erfolgte mittels der Berechnung des Net Asset Value (NAV). Unter Berücksichtigung aller Beteiligungen ergibt sich zum 05. Juli 2021 eine GBC-Fair-NAV-Bewertung in Höhe von 1,04 Mrd. EUR. Daraus ergibt sich ein NAV je Cryptology-Aktie von 358,43 EUR. Daher empfiehlt GBC Research die Cryptology-Aktie zum Kauf und sieht ein Kurspotenzial von über 120 %.
Der AKTIONÄR News
30. Juli 17:00 Cathie Wood kauft Robinhood – na und?
30. Juli 16:04 Amazon: Schlimmster Tag seit Corona-Crash
30. Juli 15:20 Daimler wird aufgespalten – was bedeutet das für die Aktie?
News im Fokus
Vonovia SE: Job mit Zukunft: Rund 200 Auszubildende starten ihre Karriere bei Vonovia (News mit Zusatzmaterial)
30. Juli 2021, 12:28
Registrierung zum H1 2021 Trading Update der AUTO1 Group SE am 6. August um 15:30 Uhr MESZ
06. August 2021
Original-Research: Vectron Systems AG (von GBC AG): Buy
30. Juli 2021