aap Implantate AG
- WKN: A3H210
- ISIN: DE000A3H2101
- Land: Deutschland
Nachricht vom 13.08.2021 | 07:30
aap with positive EBITDA in Q2 and H1/2021 for first time since focusing on trauma and significant sales growth of +74% (Q2) and +37% (H1)
DGAP-News: aap Implantate AG
/ Key word(s): Half Year Results/Half Year Report
aap Implantate AG ("aap" or the "Company") remains on growth track with significant double-digit sales increases in the second quarter and first half of 2021 and achieved positive EBITDA in both reporting periods for the first time since focusing on trauma in 2016. aap increased sales by a significant 74% and 37% year-on-year in the second quarter and the first six months of financial year 2021 to EUR 3.3 million (Q2/2020: EUR 1.9 million) and EUR 6.0 million (H1/2020: EUR 4.4 million), respectively. Taking constant exchange rates into account, the growth rates were even 79% (Q2) and 41% (H1). On the earnings side, the Company generated positive EBITDA in both the second quarter and first half of 2021 of EUR 0.3 million (Q2/2020: EUR -2.1 million) and EUR 0.1 million (H1/2020: EUR -4.3 million), respectively, visibly reflecting the success of the restructuring.
Q2/2021 and H1/2021 - Key results and progress
- Sales by region: Particularly strong development in international business (Q2: >+100%, H1: +59%), but Germany also continues to recover (Q2: +3%, H1: +9%)
- USA: Continued dynamic growth with significant sales increases (Q2: +72%, H1: +30%); sales level above EUR 1 million mark for first time in Q2
- Earnings: Significant improvement in EBITDA to EUR 0.3 million in Q2 (Q2/2020: EUR -2.1 million) and EUR 0.1 million in H1 (H1/2020: EUR -4.3 million); recurring EBITDA also noticeably improved to EUR -0.1 million (Q2/2020: EUR -1.5 million) and EUR -0.4 million (H1/2020: EUR -2.9 million)
- Operational trauma business: Break-even result (recurring EBITDA) for first time since focusing on trauma in 2016
- Gross margin and costs: Gross margin stabilized at high level of 87% in H1 and with increase in gross margin in absolute terms in line with sales growth key driver of earnings improvement; sharply reduced cost level with declining personnel (-17% in H1) and other costs (-22% in Q2 and -12% in H1) as well as significant decrease in one-time effects
- Cash flow: Noticeable improvement in operating cash flow to EUR -0.4 million in H1 compared to previous years (financing requirement of approx. EUR 2.0 million) with clear trend towards black zero
- Balance sheet: Equity ratio at a good level of 46% (31.12.2020: 52%)
- Financing: Granting of further shareholder loans from major shareholders (approx. EUR 1.0 million) as well as inflows from COVID-19 aid program "Überbrückungshilfe III" and sale of land (together approx. EUR 0.9 million); measures to be implemented in short term in H2 to finance sales growth and human clinical study silver coating technology under evaluation
- Silver coating technology: Three silver-coated aap plate systems used for first time in IIT study and two individual healing trials in patients with severe infections - very good healing processes and no indications of infections so far - results are positive indication for human clinical study with planned start in FY/2021
- Resorbable magnesium implant technology: Focus on securing financing for further development - intensive talks with technology-savvy investors on financing up to complete sale of technology
*In FY/2020, approximately KEUR 10 that was actually attributable to Germany was reported in Europe. The reclassification has been made as part of the current financial reporting.
*In FY/2020, approximately KEUR that was actually attributable to Germany was reported in Europe. The reclassification has been made as part of the current financial reporting.
In the USA, aap continued its dynamic growth track with significant sales increases (Q2: +72%, H1: +30%) and in the second quarter of 2021 for the first time achieved a sales level above the EUR 1 million mark.
In both the second quarter and the first half of 2021, aap was able to significantly improve earnings and achieved positive EBITDA for the first time since focusing on the trauma segment in 2016. The background to these developments is, in addition to the increase in gross margin in absolute terms in line with the noticeable sales growth as key driver, also a sharply reduced cost level. The positive cost development resulted on the one hand from the implemented restructuring measures, which are reflected in declining personnel and other costs, and on the other hand from a significant decrease in one-time effects, which in the first half of 2020 were still largely characterized by the restructuring and refinancing as well as the revision of the quality management system. In addition, EBITDA was positively impacted by a one-time effect from the termination of a contract with a former distributor and an increase in other operating income, which, in addition to payments from the COVID-19 aid program "Überbrückungshilfe III", was also attributable to the reversal of provisions. The significant improvement in EBITDA thus visibly reflects the successes realized as part of the restructuring, which can be summarized as follows:
- Stabilization of gross margin at high level of 87% (H1/2020: 87%) and increase in gross margin in absolute terms in line with sales growth as key driver of earnings improvement
- Decrease in personnel expenses by 17% or EUR 0.7 million to EUR 3.2 million compared to H1/2020
- Declining trend in other costs (-22% in Q2 and -12% in H1) with significantly reduced non-recurring expenses
Looking at the development of the pure operating trauma business, aap succeeded in breaking even (recurring EBITDA) in the first half of the year for the first time since focusing on the trauma segment in 2016. This is again a confirmation for the implemented restructuring and transformation measures, but also an incentive to build up a sustainably profitable trauma business with further growing sales.
With regard to its innovative antibacterial silver coating technology, aap achieved another important milestone in the first half of 2021. For the first time three aap silver-coated plate systems were used in patients as part of an IIT study and two individual healing trials. These involved particularly complex fractures and/or severe infections in which the therapy measures used were specifically supplemented by the silver coating technology to increase the chances of healing. In all three cases, healing proceeded very well in the weeks following the procedures and there is no evidence of infection to date. The results are a positive indication for the planned human clinical study, which is to be started in Germany this year to obtain CE approval.
A key focus in the second half of the year will continue to be on securing aap's further financing. In this context, further measures were successfully implemented in the first half of the year. In addition to the granting of additional shareholder loans by major shareholders with a total volume of around EUR 1 million, the main factors here were the first-time qualification for the government's COVID-19 aid program "Überbrückungshilfe III", and a sale of land in Brandenburg, as a result of which aap received a total of EUR 0.9 million. Further steps must now be taken in the second half of the year to secure the Company's long-term financing. Following the successful restructuring, aap urgently needs fresh funds to finance the planned sales growth and the start of the human clinical study for the antibacterial silver coating technology. Accordingly, various measures are currently being evaluated for implementation in the short term. These range from equity-based transactions via the capital market, such as a capital increase, to corporate transactions (e.g. mergers, share or asset deals, and carve-outs) with a focus on targeted financing for the silver coating and magnesium implant technologies.
In the second half of 2021, in addition to the implementation of necessary measures to secure aap's financing, the focus will be in particular on the planned start of the human clinical study for the innovative antibacterial silver coating technology. In terms of sales, the Management Board anticipates an increase in the second half of 2021 compared to the first six months of the financial year and, on the basis of a properly filled order book, expects sales of between EUR 3.0 million and EUR 3.4 million for the third quarter. With regard to earnings, aap aims to achieve positive EBITDA in the operative trauma business for the first time in the further course of the financial year 2021, assuming development according to plan. Taking into account the full R&D project costs and before possible co-financing, the Management Board expects Group EBITDA to be at the upper end of the guidance communicated in January. However, the above forecasts for sales and EBITDA are subject to the condition that the infection situation in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic (virus mutations) does not deteriorate again and corresponding lockdown measures are imposed in the sales regions relevant for aap.
For queries, please contact:
aap Implantate AG; Fabian Franke; Head of Investor Relations; Lorenzweg 5; 12099 Berlin, Germany; Phone: +49 (0)30 75019 - 134; Fax: +49 (0)30 75019 - 290; Email: email@example.com
|Company:||aap Implantate AG|
|Phone:||+49 (0) 30 75 01 90|
|Fax:||+49 (0) 30 75 01 91 11|
|Listed:||Regulated Market in Frankfurt (General Standard); Regulated Unofficial Market in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Tradegate Exchange|
|EQS News ID:||1225843|
|End of News||DGAP News Service|
GBC im Fokus
net digital, der digitale und mobile Payment-Spezialist
Die net digital AG agiert mit ihren digitalen und mobilen Paymentlösungen und den hierzu ergänzenden Diensten (z. B. Abo-Management und zahlungsbezogene KI-Lösungen) im multimilliarden-schweren Paymentmarkt. Basierend auf der vielversprechenden Wachstumsstrategie und der guten Marktpositionierung, sollte es dem net digital-Konzern gelingen, ab dem Jahr 2022 ein nachhaltiges dynamisches Wachstum zu erreichen. Parallel hierzu rechnen wir aufgrund des sehr skalierbaren Geschäftsmodells (Plattform-Ansatz) mit einer überproportionalen Ergebnisverbesserung. Bei dem von uns ermittelten Kursziel von 20,60 € vergeben wir das Rating KAUFEN.
Der AKTIONÄR News
25. Januar 22:40 Microsoft übertrifft Prognosen, Aktie fällt – die Details
26. Januar 05:52 Lufthansa und ITA: Kann das klappen?
26. Januar 07:00 Bitcoin und Co mit Berg- und Talfahrt – wie geht es jetzt weiter?
News im Fokus
Vonovia SE: Jürgen Fenk und Matthias Hünlein sollen in den Auf-sichtsrat der Vonovia SE einziehen
25. Januar 2022, 10:58
Trading Update FY 2021
25. Januar 2022
Original-Research: Ikonisys SA (von Sphene Capital GmbH): Buy Ikonisys SA
25. Januar 2022